Suicide Prevention & Recovery Month 2023
Everyone can play a role in suicide prevention. It may feel hard to do, but it is not impossible! When we come together, we can learn the words to lend a hand, or to ask for help. But, we do not have to walk this journey alone.
By drawing attention to the problem of suicide in our community, the "Ask. Listen. Connect." campaign strives to reduce stigma surrounding this complex health issue as well as foster help seeking and support for those in distress.
The Marin County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services, the Marin County Suicide Prevention Collaborative, and many community-based partners throughout Marin are coming together to build a safe and healthy community through awareness and education. Over 15 different events are planned!
We can be there for each other, especially during difficult times. Let's "Ask. Listen. Connect." to support those around us and keep them safe. Learn more, attend an event, and join the Marin County Suicide Prevention Collaborative to help make a difference.
DID YOU KNOW...
Talking about suicide will not cause someone to take their life?
Most people express warning signs when they’re in distress through words, actions or feelings?
Most people believe suicide can be prevented and want to provide support and help?
DOWNLOADABLE EVENT FLYERS! English, Spanish and Vietnamese.
Events ~ Join Us!
- September 20 from 6:00-7:15 pm. A Community Conversation on 988. Virtual. Register here.
- September 20 from 9:00 am-Noon. A Forum on Children’s Mental Health and Well-Being. First Five and Families Commission. Location: Embassy Suites, 101 McInnis Parkway, San Rafael. Register/RSVP: Michelle@First5Marin.org
- September 21 from 2:00-3:30 pm. Growing Older in Marin: The Connection Between Ageism and Well-Being. Virtual. Register here.
- September 21 from 9:00-5:30 pm. Mental Health First Aid. Adult/English. In-person: San Geronimo/West Marin. Register here.
- September 21 from 5:00-8:00 pm. Helen Vine Recovery Celebration. Location: San Rafael Community Center, 618 B Street, San Rafael. Contact: email@example.com
- September 23. American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) Walk in Sonoma. Join the Buckelew Programs or Felton Institute Teams!
- September 23 from 8:30 am-5:30 pm. Mental Health First Aid. Youth/Spanish. In person: Canal Alliance. Register here.
- September 25 from 4:30-6:00 pm. NAMI-Marin “Storytelling H.O.P.E Panel." Virtual. Register here.
- September 26 from 6:00-7:30 pm. Resilient Even Now: Finding Hope and Liberation After Exploitation. Special guest: Brielle Decker, Resilient Even Now. Dominican University, Creekside Room, 100 Magnolia Avenue, San Rafael. Register here.
- September 26 from 6:00-7:30 pm. Suicide Prevention Training for Spanish-Speaking Populations. North Marin Community Services. Virtual. Register: Silvia Albuja at 707-408-3657.
- September 28 from 8:30 am-4:30 pm. Regional Multi-County Suicide Prevention Summit. CEU's available. Virtual. Register here.
- September 1 from 10:00 am-2:00 pm. Suicide Prevention Training (Vietnamese). Location: Boro Center, 50 Canal Street, San Rafael. Register: Mr. Khoa Tran 703-943-0053 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- September 6 from 5:00-6:30 pm. Marin County Suicide Prevention Collaborative Meeting. Location: 3240 Kerner Campus, San Rafael. Register here.
- September 7 from 4:00-5:00 pm. Gun Violence Restraining Order. Virtual. Register here.
- September 9 from 8:30-5:00 pm. Mental Health First Aid. Adult-Spanish. In-person. North Marin Community Services. Register here.
- September 12 from 9:00-11:00 am. Board of Supervisor's Meeting. Board Chambers, Room 330, Marin County Civic Center, 3501 Civic Center Drive, San Rafael. In person, or virtual.
- September 13 from 3:00-4:00 pm. American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, Talk Saves Lives, Older Adults. Virtual. Register here.
- September 14 from 5:00-8:00 pm. The Mask You Live In. Featuring Ashanti Branch, MEd. Location: Academic Center, Room 255, College of Marin, 835 College Ave., Kentfield. Register here.
- September 16 from 8:30-5:00 pm. Mental Health First Aid. Youth/English. In-person. Pt. Reyes Station. Register here.